The MBS Online Bookstore presents all the options available to students to purchase their textbooks. Including new with a guaranteed buyback price, if available, used, e-book/digital, rental, and marketplace options.
Frequently Asked Questions
MBS Online Bookstore
What are the benefits of the MBS Online Bookstore?
Convenience of online shopping.
All purchasing options are available for each titled listed on one screen.
- New books, with a guaranteed buyback, if available
- Used books, with a guaranteed buyback, if available
- E-Book/Digital books
- Rental books
- Books available on the Marketplace
Option to use available financial aid, up to $600, to purchase required book(s).
When navigating to the MBS Online Bookstore through your Banner Self Service Account, your class schedule is automatically populated - no searching for your courses.
Easy buyback and rental returns through pre-paid shipping labels printed from your MBS Online Bookstore Account or through on-campus buyback where MBS will buy back your guaranteed buyback book(s), or books obtained from other vendors, if approved for buyback. Rental books may also be returned during the on-campus buyback, which takes place at the end of fall and spring semesters.
How long will it take to receive my books from MBS? Where will my books ship to?
Books are shipped same day if ordered before noon CST. Books typically take 2 days without needing express options. Books will be shipped to the address entered by the student in their MBS account - the address is not tied to the Banner address. Books may be shipped to a P.O. Box.
I can't find my book on MBS.
All courses have information regarding the textbooks for the course - either the adopted text, no text required, text to be provided, or a link to the Open Education Resource (OER) where the student can get the free textbook. If you cannot find your course, please contact the LCC Help Desk (option 0) at 517-483-5221 or toll free 1-800-644-4522 choose option 3.
Will course packs be available on the MBS Online Bookstore?
Some course packs may be available for purchase on the MBS Online Bookstore. If a course pack is still required to be purchased at Phil's, a note stating such will appear on the MBS Online Bookstore.
What type of books are available on the MBS Online Bookstore?
- New, with a guaranteed buyback price, if applicable.
- Used, if available (new editions will not have used stock available) also with a guaranteed buyback price, if applicable.
- E-book/Digital, if the publisher has this option for the specific book.
- Rental, if available.
- A link to the Marketplace and the lowest price available on the Marketplace, if available.
What if I need to return my book?
MBS's return policy:
Course materials must be returned within two weeks after class start date or within 21 days of date shipped, whichever is later.
New course material must be returned in new, unopened condition in order to receive a full refund.
All components of a packaged item must come back together, unopened, and in the original shrink wrap to receive credit.
Loose leaf items must be in the original shrink-wrap.
CDs, diskettes, Info Trac pass codes (Internet pass codes included with your textbook) and software included with a book or sold alone must be intact, in the original packaging or it will be non-refundable.
All components of an item must come back in the same shipment to receive credit.
Books damaged in shipping may not be eligible for full refund.
Electronic content like access key codes, eBooks, etc. are non-refundable.
Shipping costs are non-refundable.
How do I sell my textbook back or return my rental?
MBS will be on-campus (one day at West & two days at Downtown) each semester, except for summer. MBS will buy back books purchased through MBS and possibly buy back books purchased through other vendors. Students will receive cash at the time of purchase for the buyback. MBS will also accept rental returns while on campus.
The student may go online to the MBS Online Bookstore and print out a pre-paid shipping label (offsets the amount of buyback received) to send back books for either buyback or rental.
Use of Financial Aid on the MBS Online Bookstore
What is a Financial Aid Book Voucher?
Some financial aid students are eligible to receive money for the purchase of books as an advance of their financial aid award. Each semester, eligible students may have access to a Financial Aid Book Voucher, of up to $600, as an advance, from LCC, of their financial aid. The Financial Aid Book Voucher enables the student to purchase books from the MBS Online Bookstore. The actual amount of the Financial Aid Book Voucher utilized will be charged to the student's account. If a student loses eligibility for financial aid after the charges have been applied to the student account, the student is responsible for paying those charges.
I don't want to purchase my textbooks from the MBS Online Bookstore.
There is no obligation to purchase your textbooks from the MBS Online Bookstore. Students can purchase their books wherever they wish. However, students who wish to take advantage of the convenience of a Financial Aid Book Voucher to purchase their books can only do so at the MBS Online Bookstore. The student may use their Financial Aid Book Voucher for the following book options, if the option is available for the requested text:
- New books, with a guaranteed buyback
- Used books, with a guaranteed buyback
- E-Book/Digital books
- Rental books
- Books available on the Marketplace
How is the Financial Aid Book Voucher calculated?
A student with authorized aid greater than the balance owed for tuition, fees, and supply advance is eligible to receive a Financial Aid Book Voucher. The balance of the authorized aid, up to $600, will be credited as a Book Voucher on the MBS Online Bookstore.
- Example 1 - a student has authorized aid of $2,500 and tuition and fees outstanding of $1,100 and a $250 Supply Advance. The balance of authorized aid is $2,500 - $1,100 - $250 = $1,150 - the student is eligible for the full $600 Book Voucher.
- Example 2 - a student has authorized aid of $2,000 and tuition and fees of $1,300 and a $250 Supply Advance. The balance of authorized aid is $2,000 - $1,300 - $250 = $450 - the student is eligible for a $450 Book Voucher.
- Example 3 - a student has authorized aid of $1,200 and tuition and fees outstanding of $1,100 and a $100 Supply Advance. The full authorized aid has been used ($1,200 - $1,100 - $100 = $0); therefore, no Book Voucher would be available.
I have all my textbooks and did not use my full Financial Aid Book Voucher - Can I have the balance for other educational expenses?
The Financial Aid Book Voucher is only for the purchase of books.
I have technical questions regarding MBS such as:
- How to access MBS.
- How to navigate and use the MBS site.
- Login issues with MBS or Banner Self Service.
- Other technical issues regarding LCC or MBS.
Please contact the LCC Help Desk (option 0) at 517-483-5221 or toll free 1-800-644-4522 choose option 3.
I have questions about the Financial Aid Book Voucher or Supply Advance such as:
- Am I eligible to receive a Book Voucher?
- Is the Book Voucher amount correct?
- When will the Book Voucher and Supply Advance be available?
Please visit the StarZone or call (517) 483-1200 (option 1).