How will LCC notify me of an emergency situation?
In an effort to keep the College community informed and able to effectively respond, the College employs several notification systems to quickly communicate urgent information to the College community. These methods of communication allows the Department of Public Safety or the Incident Command Team (ICT) to send out time-sensitive information such as timely warning notices, emergency notifications regarding significant occurring or imminent impacts to the College or campus and campus evacuations or closures of the College community.
Notification methods that are used include, but may not be limited to, the following:
Public Address Systems
- The Siemen’s Fire system includes a public address (PA) system. From Public Safety Dispatch it is possible to send an “all campus” PA announcement to both West and Downtown Campuses separately or simultaneously. It is also possible to use the system to announce to each downtown building individually when necessary; all from the downtown Dispatch office. When activated by pulling the Fire Alarm or sensing a fire, the system will flash and audibly repeat an automated evacuation message to all. This message can be overridden by Police Dispatch with a live PA announcement when needed.
- The downtown campus has a bell tower outdoor PA announcement capability which is controlled from Public Safety Dispatch.
- The Mason Aviation Director, accesses the PA to the entire campus/building from the Siemen’s Fire panel in the front lobby and can provide emergency announcements.
- East and Livingston Center Campuses use SA Announce to provide PA announcements from and to the Cisco VoIP telephone system.
LCC Emergency Alert
- The LCC-EAS is used to alert people to a current or imminent threat, emergency incident, or urgent situation (e.g., power outage in a building, criminal incidents or activity, weather emergencies) related to the College to ensure the safety and security of those in the vicinity.
- A notification can be sent to a College or private email, any text capable cell phone, or text-to-voice audio. LCC students and employees are automatically opted-in to receive alerts. Student and employee contact information is updated daily from the Banner ERP System using the latest contact information, If there is a problem with receipt of messages, employees and students are encouraged to contact the ITS Help Desk (517-483-5221 or email@example.com) for resolution.
- Anyone in the community can register for LCC-EAS, by accessing www.getrave.com and specifying Lansing Community College.
- Notifications can target selected groups, for example, all on a specific campus or just employees or just students or to everyone at the same time.
College Website/College Monitors/Social Media
- It is possible to extend messaging to the website (lcc.edu), to College-wide monitors, and to the LCC Twitter and Facebook accounts when the situation warrants. The Director of Public Relations, part of the ICT, works closely with the LCC Marketing and Information Technology Services to activate these methods when determined necessary by severity or urgency of the incident.
- If notification needs to be made to individuals or organizations outside the College community, communication can be made via Director of Public Relations, in coordination with the ICT, as deemed appropriate (e.g., a press release or a news conference).