State of Michigan - Basic RiderCourse (BRC) and Returning Rider Basic RiderCourse (RRBRC)
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's BASIC RIDERCOURSE and RETURNING RIDER BASIC RIDERCOURSE are sponsored by Lansing Community College and the State of Michigan. Instruction is done in a controlled off-street environment located at LCC's West Campus (click this link for a map). Rider coaches are certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and have years of instruction experience.
You must be 18 years old or older OR be 15-17 years old AND possess a Level One Graduated Driver's License. If you are under 18 years old, you must have a parent or legal guardian sign a liability waiver form for you.
REGISTRATION FOR 2015 WILL BEGIN ON MARCH 10TH!
Sorry, no registrations will be accepted before this date.
How to register
There are two ways to register for 2015. Available on March 10th, you will be able to:
1. Register for the course online. Check back to this webpage for a link to our new online registration system. You will be able to register for the course online using VISA or MASTERCARD.
2. Visit us in-person at LCC's West Campus, Room M103. In-person registration can pay by EXACT CASH only. Sorry, no personal checks will be accepted. We will also have a laptop available for online registrations using a credit card.
You must submit payment at the time of registration.
The cost of each course is $25 nonrefundable*
* Changing your class date may be considered FIVE BUSINESS DAYS before the class
is scheduled to begin, without penalty or loss of fee.
Basic Rider Course (BRC):
This course offers 14 hours of instruction by Motorcycle Safety Foundation Certified Instructors on the fundamentals of good motorcycle riding. Our goal is to make your experience fun, safe and rewarding. No experience is necessary. A good sense of balance is required (you must be able to ride a bicycle. Upon completion of the course and passing grades on the written and riding evaluation, you will be able to waive the State of Michigan riding test to receive your motorcycle endorsement with the State of Michigan. The State written test, taken at the Secretary of State's office, must still be passed to receive your driver's license motorcycle endorsement.
What you will learn in the Basic RiderCourse:
- To have more fun riding safely.
- The basics, what to wear, how to start and stop the motorcycle, and motorcycle controls.
- Street strategies to avoid trouble and stay safe.
- How to maneuver your motorcycle in tough situations--swerving, proper braking, avoiding collisions, special situations, lane changes, passing, avoiding hazards, negotiating curves.
Returning Rider Basic RiderCourse (RRBRC):
This course offers 9 hours of instruction by Motorcycle Safety Foundation Certified Instructors and riders who have not been riding for some time or who have been riding on a permit for a time and wish to renew/refresh their basic skills and/or become licensed and legal. The RRBRC is not intended for new riders with little or no riding experience. Upon completion of the course and passing grades on the written and riding evaluation, you will be able to waive the State of Michigan riding test to receive your motorcycle endorsement with the State of Michigan. The State written test, taken at the Secretary of State's office, must still be passed to receive your driver's license endorsement.
In order to take the RRBRC, you must have prior motorcycle riding experience including the abilities to:
- Use the clutch and throttle to control a motorcycle, start out, and stop smoothly.
- Upshift and downshift smoothly.
- Stop a motorcycle properly at a designated point, and
- Negotiate normal roadway turns and curves.
If you do not demonstrate minimal proficiency with basic motorcycle operation during the two screening exercises for the course, you will be dismissed from the course and counseled to enroll in a course better suited to your skill level. Your course fee will not be refunded.
What you will learn in the Returning Rider Basic RiderCourse:
- Braking, counter steering, turning, speed judgment, and other techniques necessary for the experienced rider to operate a motorcycle skillfully and safely.
What we supply:
Motorcycles used in the training and classroom materials.
What you will need to bring:
DOT approved full helmet with face shield or eye-protection (prescription glasses are NOT considered appropriate eye protection), riding/leather jacket or long-sleeved shirt, full fingered riding gloves, riding chaps or heavy jeans, over-the-ankle boots.
- Must understand and agree that you will be dismissed from the course if you present a danger to your safety or the safety of others during any exercise or evaluation in the course.
- Must have no medical conditions or mental or physical limitations that would affect your learning or your safety or the learning or safety of others.
- Must have not used, or be under the influence of alcohol, prescription or non-prescription drugs or any other substance that could impair your performance in the course.
- Sessions will be offered on a first come first serve basis by registration with Lansing Community College. We ride rain or shine.
|April 24-26 - BRC||July 24-26 - BRC|
|May 1-3 - RBC||July 31, August 1-2 - BRC|
|May 8, 12-13 - BRC||August 7-9 - BRC|
|May 15-17 - BRC||August 14-16 - BRC|
|May 29-31 - BRC||August 21-23 - BRC|
|June 5, 9-10 - BRC||August 28-30 - BRC|
|June 12-14- BRC||September 11-13 - BRC|
|June 19-21 - BRC||**May 9 - RRBRC|
|June 26-28 - BRC||**May 10 - RRBRC|
|July 10-12 - BRC||**August 11 - RRBRC|
|July 17-19-BRC||**August 12- RRBRC|
** This is a Returning Rider Basic RiderCourse RRBRC, 7:45am - 5:00pm.
5708 Cornerstone Drive
Lansing, MI 48917
Transportation Maintenance Technologies
West Campus, Room M103
Phone: (517) 267-6406
Additional contact information »