Science & Math Elementary Exploration Set for November 12
LANSING 10/31/11 – Elementary children (grades K-6) from
Ingham, Clinton and Eaton Counties are encouraged to attend Lansing
Community College’s (LCC) annual Science & Math Exploration Day (SMEE) on
November 12, 2011 from 8:30 a.m. to noon.
The activities will take place in the Arts & Sciences Building on LCC’s Main Campus. The fee for each child is $3 with accompanying adults free. Registration is available on the day of the event at the Arts & Sciences first floor lobby beginning at 8 a.m.
SMEE (formerly called Elementary Science Olympiad) is a day for children to come to campus and experience hands-on science and math activities. All events are non-competitive with an emphasis on learning. Among the day’s highlights are:
· Circuit Wizardry – Students will have an opportunity to investigate simple circuits. Make the buzzer ring! Make the light bulb shine!
· Fossil Hunt – Students can see how fossils are made, look at fossils and place them on a geologic era chart.
· Leader Dogs – Do you know how dogs are trained to help the visually impaired? Talk to a trainer about the details of dog training and care.
· Moon Craters – Ever thought about how the craters on the moon were made? This event investigates the relationship between asteroids and crater size.
· Science of Music – How do different musical instruments make sound? Learn about different instruments, pitch, vibration, and how to make them work.
· Slime – Come and create slime! Investigate this fun polymer.
· Veterinary Technician – Ever wonder what’s inside a racehorse? This event explores the possibilities of working with animals from the “inside” out.
· Zap – This event is all about static electricity. Shocking!
http://www.lcc.edu/maps/main/ to see a map of the locations.
To watch an interview with Professor Mary Brown and student Alyson Gonzalez on the LCC TV talk show Connections, visit http://youtu.be/C0ydgEdkENQ.
For more information, contact Mary Brown, LCC Science Department, at email@example.com.